Wednesday, February 27, 2008

So sick and tired of being so sick and tired

So, like every other Central Illinoisan right now... I am pissy about the weather. I mean, really. But just like everyone else, I'm done complaining about it. It does me no good, so.... why bother? We're all in the same boat. That being said....

I have fallen in love with the Cease to Desist album from Band of Horses. I bought it a while back because I heard good things about it, and put it with the rest of my CDs and didn't pick it up again for a few months. But I wish I had done it alot sooner! What a gorgeous album. It reminds me alot of The Shins, another of my favorite bands. (my favorite track on "Wincing the Night Away" is "Split Needles". Me and Jason Lee.) Seriously, if you haven't listened to this album, do it immediately. I love No One's Gonna Love You and Detlef Schrempf, in particular. Both are very calm and melancholy, and No One's Gonna Love You has such a lament to it... such a lilting, defeated sound. It gets stuck in my head anytime I hear it. Which is a pleasure, and I hate to have songs stuck in my head. It's already cluttered in there, and it has enough of its own soundtrack to fill days and days of non-stop play.

Otherwise, I picked up the Aloha album and liked that quite alot. And of course, thank goodness, Vampire Weekend lived up to the hype. I hate when albums don't live up to their buzz. I mean, it's an unfortunate way to come out of the gate anyway, but at least in that case they are as good as they've been touted. Some bands put out albums and they are just consistently great. Such as The Foo Fighters, for example. Granted, some people didn't like Skin & Bones that much, but it's a matter of taste. Do those people just not like acoustic stuff? Then they aren't going to like that album. Plain & simple. If you don't have an affinity for a style of music or type of sound, then you aren't going to find much about an album in that style that is charming.

No comments: